|Los Angeles Domestic Violence Attorney
Family Law and Spousal Abuse Lawyer
DOMESTIC VIOLENCE FAQ #2
2. Who is protected?
Fam C §6211 provides that domestic violence is abuse perpetrated against any of the following persons:
• A spouse or former spouse;
• A cohabitant or former cohabitant, as defined in Fam C §6209;
• A person with whom the respondent is having or has had a dating or engagement relationship;
• A person with whom the respondent has had a child, if the presumption applies that the male
parent is the father of the child of the female parent under the Uniform Parentage Act (UPA) (Fam C
• A child of a party or a child who is the subject of an action under the UPA, if the presumption
applies that the male parent is the father of the child to be protected; or
• Any other person related by consanguinity or affinity within the second degree.
To prove that there is an ongoing or previous "dating or engagement relationship," the petitioner must
show "frequent, intimate associations primarily characterized by the expectation of affection or sexual
involvement independent of financial considerations." Fam C §6210.
If you are not with the Fam C §6211 definition of a protected person you will have to bring an action for
Contact a Los Angeles Domestic Violence Attorney at Law Offices of Warren R. Shiell
Call for a free consultation now 310.247.9913
© 2011 Warren R. Shiell. All rights reserved. Warren R Shiell is a Los Angeles Divorce and Family Law attorney. The information
contained in this website is an "Advertisement." It is for informational purposes only and shall not constitute legal advice. Nothing in
this Website shall be deemed to create an Attorney-Client relationship. An Attorney-Client relationship shall only be created when
this office agrees to represent a Client and a Client signs a written retainer agreement.
return to top of page < HOME
1875 Century Park East, Suite 600
Los Angeles, CA 90067
tel. (310) 247-9913
fax. (310) 276-0313